Looking for Something?

Monday, October 29, 2018

Fight to Unite!

In the beginning of the Rhetoric unit, I was intimidated by how it works and the meaning of literary devices. After studying and practicing it, I have been able to detect examples of rhetoric in historic text and books. Throughout the unit, i have been more careful with my speech and the tone I use after studying politician’s rhetoric. For this project, I applied the knowledge I have acquired about rhetorical elements to create artwork that breaks the status quo on a social issue. I chose immigration because I have been studying Chuy Garcia and his views on immigration policies. I had some trouble coming up with an idea, but research was able to inspire me. Each element on the poster represents a piece of rhetoric.

JMP, Fight to Unite, (2018)
In my invitation, I intend for the people to see this as a crosswalk sign in Chicago. As they are waiting for the light to change to assure them that it is safe to walk across the street, their eyes will linger towards this bold sign.  They should think about the endangerment of crossing the border as they cross the street, and how lucky they are to have freedom. The name of this piece, "Fight to Unite", will make them think, who is uniting? The piece addresses the immigration policy issue in the United States. Jesus "Chuy" Garcia, a politician that focuses on changing our current harsh immigration policies, is holding the children's hands on the left side. On the right side, there is a mother and her other child waiting for her children to be united back with the family. The United States is on the left, because it is north of the southern families trying to find new life in a new nation. The children were taken away from their mom because of ICE's heartless actions. Chuy is holding the mother's hand through the broken wall because he is trying to abolish the harsh rule on immigrants and how the government makes them leave the United States with no care. Trump is fundraising for building a wall to block out immigrants and their potential. Many people support his actions, but Chuy is breaking the barrier, literally and metaphorically, to unite minorities and speaking out on this issue. I made my piece to build upon the tradition of rhetoric in U.S history by studying Thomas Paine's "Common Sense". In his writing, he makes war sound simple and easy, but it actually isn't. My piece understates what is at stake at crossing the border and makes it seem easy. This is an example of meiosis. Comparing the simplicity of crossing the street is analogous of crossing the boarder. Immigrants suffer for just the search of a new life. I want the audience to feel empathy as they study this sign. We as a community can start small from talking at a People's Assembly in the neighborhood, to making a change in the whole nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Dead Fish

In my last term for my STEAM class, I took a course called Frontiers. This term was the first ever time that course was introduced to GCE L...

Popular Posts