Looking for Something?

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Internetainers' Impact on the 21st Century

Our last chunk of our Journalism course taught us the impact of voice throughout the past ten centuries. I enjoyed identifying important voices of entertainers, musicians, speakers, presidents, and crooks. I was very surprised how voices can be quickly identified with just one second of their iconic tone or sound, such as Barack Obama or Donald Trump. I decided to produce a podcast based on who I believe are iconic voices of the 21st century- YouTubers Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal- and interviewed my peers about them. I have a deep connection with Rhett and Link. Since I became a fan of them in fifth grade, my humor and dialogue has been influenced by theirs. Since I watch their content everyday, their lingo has become part of mine. I watch them because they inspire me to be my best creative self and speak my valued voice. In 2017, I stood outside after their show in Chicago in negative degree weather to meet them. When they were leaving the theater, I was able to thank them for their impact on me and take a picture.

JMP, Tour of Mythicality, (2017)
 This year, I was able to earn a job at the Art Institute of Chicago and save up enough money for a meet and greet ticket to meet them indoors at their next tour stop.

JMP, The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek, (2019)
I have met a number of best friends due to a shared love for Rhett and Link. One of them is my friend KC, who lives in California. We have been friends for about six years. We met through a chat dedicated to talking about our favorite episodes that Rhett and Link release on YouTube. We consistently talk everyday and send care packages to each other for the holidays. This upcoming summer, we are planning to meet for the first time! I would not have become best friends with KC without stumbling upon Rhett and Link first.

Since I know a number of people in GCE enjoy their content also, I wanted to hear what the impact of Rhett and Link was on them. I interviewed two people from the senior class, the head of school, and my friend KC from California. I picked these people because we talk about Rhett and Link eagerly when something is new with them. I liked the format of asking the question, and hearing the diverse answers at once.








No comments:

Post a Comment

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Dead Fish

In my last term for my STEAM class, I took a course called Frontiers. This term was the first ever time that course was introduced to GCE L...

Popular Posts