Looking for Something?

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Spitting Out Sonnets

In my Humanities class called Drama,  we read Taming of the Shrew- a famous Shakespeare play about the effect of social roles on individual happiness. In the play, a man named Petruchio ventures out to win the heart of Katherine, one of the two daughters that a rich man named Baptista has. Her sister Bianca is often wanted by the men in the land. Bianca acts like how a woman “should” behave back then: quiet, obedient, and happy. Katherine was viewed as a shrew because she is rowdy, rebellious, and out-spoken. Being called a shrew was a big insult. Petruchio just wanted to marry Katherine because she was born into a wealthy family. He challenges himself to tame her to be a calm and collected woman by their wedding day, and he succeeds. The whole fiasco drives him crazier than Kate herself.
For the first Action Project of Drama, my class was asked to write a sonnet concerning one of the play’s characters. I chose Katherine because I wanted to write about her experience being wed to a crazy guy like Petruchio.

Here is my sonnet!


Petruchio! The man who wed thou Kate
Pleasure to you is taming of the shrew.
All she wants is a domestic break through
Instead, you threaten and fill her with hate.  

Beguiled Kate with grace, deceptive fool
“She is my house, my horse, my ox, my ass”
Insentient man, she earns a repast
Kate does not know what Love is in your rule.

In order to reach full nirvana, knave
Be true to thyself and your sweet woman
Sit down, be humble, flee oblivion
Open up your heart, get out your mind cave

Follow my sincere advice, know the ways
Life itself will have light, happier days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Dead Fish

In my last term for my STEAM class, I took a course called Frontiers. This term was the first ever time that course was introduced to GCE L...

Popular Posts