Looking for Something?

Friday, September 28, 2018

This Shouldn't Be Our Reality

In my class called Art of Rhetoric, we studied how speech, presentation, and body language affects how people interpret a speaker. In order to make a rhetorical analysis, you must study the context, speaker, genre, occasion, and especially the audience. There are different rhetorical appeals too, that take great part in bringing the audience in. If it make you trust the speaker, it is called ethos. If it pulls your heart strings, it is called pathos. Lastly, if it is reasonable and has a logical approach, it is called logos. I had fun being able to analyze a speaker's rhetorical success or failure. For our Action Project, we had to create a speech for a mayoral candidate wanting to be part of the Chicago government. I chose Chuy Garcia, because I follow his actions as a politician in newspapers often. He hasn't said he is running for the spot, but I strongly believe he should because I look up to him. I agree with a lot of his views.  I studied his hand gestures, body-language, tone, and words very closely so I could represent him. There was a lot of research on his interview with news, so I wouldn't say any opinions he doesn't believe in. The class and I were able to do a face-to-face rhetorical analysis on Troy LaRaviere, a mayoral candidate who was a CPS principal. I was able to ask him questions, and see how he responded. This helped me know how to present myself during my speech.

JMP, Mustache, (2018)

 
JMP, This Shouldn't Be Our Reality in Little Village, (2018)
CITATIONS
Konkol, Mark. “Chuy Garcia Says His Little Village Block Helps Him ‘Keep It Real’.” DNAInfo.com. My
Chicago, 3 March, 2015. Web. 21 September, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Dead Fish

In my last term for my STEAM class, I took a course called Frontiers. This term was the first ever time that course was introduced to GCE L...

Popular Posts